Northern Territory gas strategy: five point plan
Vision: By 2030, the Territory is a world-class gas production, manufacturing and services hub.
Darwin is home to a globally significant liquefied natural gas (LNG) export hub. The Darwin LNG and Ichthys LNG projects supply over 10% of Japan’s annual global gas imports.
The Northern Territory (NT) has developed the local infrastructure and expertise required to support high calibre projects, including the US$37 billion INPEX-led Ichthys LNG Project, the US$5 billion ConocoPhillips-led Darwin LNG Project and the $800 million Jemena Northern Gas Pipeline.
The Territory Government is committed to achieving its vision for a world-class gas production, manufacturing and services through its five point plan to:
- Expand the world-scale Darwin LNG export hub
- Grow the Northern Territory's service and supply industry
- Establish gas-based processing and manufacturing
- Grow research, innovation and training capacity
- Contribute to Australia's energy security
- Oil and gas industry sector
- Oil and gas investment opportunity
- Onshore gas in the Northern Territory
- Northern Gas Pipeline
- Carbon capture and storage hub study - November 2020
- Analysis of infrastructure and logistics requirements for the development of an onshore oil and gas industry in the Northern Territory
Last updated: 25 May 2022
Share this page:URL copied!