Northern Territory gas strategy: five point plan
Vision: By 2030, the Territory is a world-class gas production, manufacturing and services hub.
Darwin is home to a globally significant liquefied natural gas (LNG) export hub. The Darwin LNG and Ichthys LNG projects supply over 10% of Japan’s annual global gas imports.
The Northern Territory (NT) has developed the local infrastructure and expertise required to support high calibre projects, including the US$37 billion INPEX-led Ichthys LNG Project, the US$5 billion ConocoPhillips-led Darwin LNG Project and the $800 million Jemena Northern Gas Pipeline.
The Territory Government is committed to achieving its vision for a world-class gas production, manufacturing and services through its five point plan to:
- Gas to expand the LNG hub could be sourced from offshore reserves, onshore gas developments, or both.
- Land is secured for five additional trains - one at Darwin LNG and four at Ichthys LNG.
- The Territory Government has invested in dedicated infrastructure at the East Arm Logistics Precinct to support offshore projects.
- Opportunities to support the offshore gas industry, including the operations of Darwin LNG, Ichthys LNG and Prelude FLNG.
- Opportunities to support the development of the onshore industry, particularly shale gas.
- The Territory Government is partnering with operators and the Industry Capability Network Northern Territory to identify opportunities to grow the local service and supply industry.
- Opportunities exist for methane-based products, energy intensive industries, condensate refining and production of ethane-based products.
- Early opportunities from offshore gas fields lend themselves to methane-based products.
- Future opportunities from onshore gas fields may expand opportunities to include ethane-based petrochemicals.
- Land is available for gas-based manufacturing industries near existing LNG facilities.
- Opportunities for strategic engagement and partnerships with Charles Darwin University, including through the North Australian Centre for Oil and Gas, the Advanced Manufacturing Alliance, and vocational education and training.
- Proven large-scale offshore gas reserves and highly-promising onshore resources of global significance can contribute to national energy security, and supply gas to Australia's east coast markets.
Get a copy of the strategy:
- Oil and gas industry sector
- Oil and gas investment opportunity
- Onshore gas in the Northern Territory
- Northern Gas Pipeline
- Carbon capture and storage hub study - November 2020
- Analysis of infrastructure and logistics requirements for the development of an onshore oil and gas industry in the Northern Territory
Last updated: 27 September 2021
Share this page:URL copied!