About major projects in the Northern Territory
Major projects are significant contributors to the economic development of the Northern Territory (NT) including through the creation of jobs and business opportunities.
These projects may be:
- private sector initiated
- government facilitated.
The Investment Territory team in the Department of the Chief Minister and Cabinet leads the coordination, development and implementation of whole-of-government policies, strategies and major projects that drive diversity, productivity, development and participation in the NT economy.
The NT already has a track record of securing investment from proponents who look beyond the short term for significant investment opportunities.
Some of the world’s largest resource projects are located in the NT, including the $37 billion INPEX-led Ichthys LNG project.
The NT Government awards major project status to private sector initiated projects that are significant, complex and have strategic impact.
In early 2017, the NT Government reviewed and updated the major project status policy framework following a comprehensive consultative process. The revised framework sets out the process and requirements for major project status.
The objectives of the major project status are to:
- attract and promote secure private sector investment to broaden and deepen the NT economy, and
- assist the timely and effective delivery of major projects through efficient and consistent government processes.
For the project proponent, the benefits of major project status include whole of government support, coordination and facilitation, assistance in identifying and mapping regulatory approvals, a dedicated project case manager and facilitation of engagement with the Australian Government through a central and single point of contact.
The benefits of major projects for the NT include:
- local business engagement in the project
- attraction of new business to the NT
- skills development and jobs for Territorians
- expansion of the investor pool.
Since 2001, the NT has adopted a case management approach for projects that have been awarded major project status.
The major project status policy framework sets out the information government requires to assess applications for major project status.
Project proponents should familiarise themselves with the information required before submitting an application for major project status. Read more about the major project status policy framework.
For enquiries relating to major project status, contact Investment Territory by calling 08 8999 6617.
The following private sector initiated projects currently have major project status:
- Alice Springs Hospital Accommodation - Whittaker Street Developments
- Ammaroo Ammonium Phosphate Project - Verdant Minerals Ltd
- Australia-Asia Power Link (AA Power Link) - Sun Cable Pty Ltd
- Desert Bloom Hydrogen - Aqua Aerem Pty Ltd
- HyperOne Network - HyperOne Pty Ltd
- Molyhil Tungsten and Molybdenum Project - Thor Mining PLC
- Mount Bundy Gold Project - Primary Gold Pty Ltd
- Mount Peake V Ti Fe Project - TNG Ltd
- Mount Todd Gold Mine – Vista Gold Pty Ltd
- Nolans Project - Arafura Rare Earths Pty Ltd
- Northcrest Real Estate Berrimah Project - Halikos Group Pty Ltd
- Petrel Gas Project – Neptune Energy Australia Pty Ltd
- Project Sea Dragon – Seafarms Group Ltd
- Tiwi H2 – Provaris Energy Ltd
Last updated: 14 April 2022
Share this page:URL copied!