Engaging with local authorities

This page has information for NT government agencies who want to engage with local authorities. It also has information for regional councils and local authorities seeking information from NT government agencies.

Local authorities are the preferred consultation body of the Northern Territory (NT) government in remote communities.

Local authorities in the Northern Territory

There are 63 local authorities across regional and remote communities in the NT. They are involved in planning, giving feedback on service delivery and identifying priority community projects.

Regional councils operate local authorities. There are nine regional councils in the NT which cover most of the Territory's remote communities.

Go to the Northern Territory Government website to find out more about regional councils and local authorities.

For regional councils and local authorities: request information

Your local authority or regional council can request information about service delivery by an NT government agency that is of ongoing community interest, or to answer systemic concerns of a community.

Your local authority or regional council cannot make a request on behalf of an individual.

Making an information request will not resolve any operational problems your local authority or regional council may have with an agency. Contact the relevant agency or service provider directly about operational matters.

How to request information from NT government agencies

To make a request, fill in the request for information from the NT government DOCX (44.9 KB) form.

There are two options to submit requests.

  1. Your regional council or local authority can email the form to local.authorities@nt.gov.au.
  2. Your regional council or local authority can ask the regional department employee attending the meeting to submit the request on your behalf.

When you make your request, your local authority or regional council should provide the following:

  • the background context to the request
  • any time frames
  • if you want a written response or a presentation.

Contact a department regional office

Regional office and regional manager contact details Regional council Local authorities
Barkly Regional Office, Tennant Creek
Phone: (08) 8962 4380 or (08) 8962 4387
Barkly Ali Curung, Alpurrurulam Ampilatwatja, Arlparra, Elliott, Tennant Creek, Wutunugurra
Arnhem Regional Office, Nhulunbuy
Phone: (08) 8987 0538 or (08) 8987 0538
East Arnhem Angurugu, Lake Evella, Gapuwiyak, Gunyangara Milingimbi, Milyakburra, Ramingining, Umbakumba, Yirrkala
Central Australia Regional Office, Alice Springs
Phone: (08) 8951 5616 or (08) 8951 5600
Central Desert Anmatjere, Atitjere, Engawala, Lajamanu Laramba, Nyirripi Willowra, Yuelamu, Yuendumu
MacDonnell Amoonguna, Areyonga, Finke, Haasts Bluff, Imanpa, Kaltukatjara, Kintore, Mt Liebig, Ntaria, Papunya, Santa Teresa, Titjikala, Wallace Rockhole
Big Rivers Regional Office, Katherine
Phone: (08) 8973 8410 or (08) 8973 8102
Roper Gulf Barunga, Beswick, Borroloola Bulman, Hodgson Downs, Jilkminggan, Manyallaluk Mataranka, Ngukurr, Numbulwar
Victoria Daly Kalkarindji, Daly River, Pine Creek, Timber Creek, Yarralin
Arafura Region, based in Darwin Office
Phone: (08) 8999 8417 or (08) 8999 8351
Tiwi Islands Milikapiti, Pirlangimpi, Wurrumiyanga
West Arnhem Gunbalanya, Maningrida, Minjilang, Warruwi
West DalyNganmarriyanga (Palumpa), Peppimenarti, Wadeye

Last updated: 31 January 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.